Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

She's home!

Well, bringing Emma home is everything everyone said it would be - sleeping all day and so far (at 11 pm), not sleeping at night. Ha, seriously though, it's been WONDERFUL having her home!!

Russell and I got trained on the breathing monitor this morning, and it can go off for many reasons, not just if she stops breathing. Great. Then we did some last minute paperwork, and off we went! We left the hospital around 1:00 this afternoon. Russell drove the car to the front while the nurse and I put Emma in her car seat for the first time! We put the car seat on this big cart, along with all her other belongings, and wheeled her to the elevator. I noticed that she was staring at the walls as we were rolling down the hall, and I wondered if it would make her sick, especially since she's started spitting up here recently. Turns out, I was right. Right before we got to the elevator, out it comes. Now would be a good time for me to mention that I was the most carsick child you could imagine. 30 minutes in the car, just across town, spelled disaster for me. My parents even had to have their car reupholstered. You know what they say about payback...anyway, Emma spit up all over the car seat and her new little outfit. Once we got to the first floor and started rolling down the hall again, I could see it in her eyes as she watched the walls go by (at a pretty fast pace, I might add)...and she puked again. Once we got her in the car, I put a blanket over half her seat so that she wouldn't get sick AGAIN looking out the window. It worked.

We got her inside the house, took her right to her nursery, and changed her diaper as she fell alseep on the changing pad. She slept like an angel until her 4:00 feeding, then slept until her 8:00 feeding, and she's been awake ever since. I've go the video monitor here next to me, and it appears that she's fighting sleep. Russell goes in there periodically when she really gets going to give her the pacifier or check her diaper...but we're wondering how long this will last.

Speaking of Russell, he had an interesting experience tonight. He fed her at 8:00, and shortly after she was done eating, I was holding her. I thought I was seeing the spit-up face...and out it came! It was projectile this time; it landed on the arm of the sofa, with Russell as the ultimate target. But never fear, Russell was quick on his feet and jumped/rolled off the sofa onto the floor. He hit the deck to avoid the projectile vomit, and I was laughing so hard I could hardly even help Emma.

Emma's incision is looking great today; the wound nurse estimated that it would take another month to heal. We're obviously praying for God to heal it faster. One piece of great news is that by the time I go back to work (June 7), we won't be dressing it anymore. That just means that we don't have to teach anyone else how to do it, and it's a pretty detailed process.

Here are some pictures from the day:



A surprised and confused Emma - wondering what she's doing on her back and what kind of contraption she's sitting in!



Asleep in her own crib at home and exhausted from moving day.

6 comments:

  1. The last picture is the BEST we have seen yet, in her OWN bed!!! Praise GOD!! MUCHO LOVE to all three of you! Danno and Joyce :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Beth -
    She is beautiful! I love the car seat pic. Hate that she was car seat, but glad you figured out a solution. I know yall are so glad to have her home. Also glad to hear that you will not have to teach an additional person how to change the wound dressing. Thanks for the continued updates. Continue to lift you all up in my prayers. Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! What a glorious day! I know you are so happy to have her home with you- where she belongs. You have had quite a story and I know its only the beginning. You three will be prayed over many, many times.

    -Kelley Caskey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for all three of you. I know she is happy to be in her own bed in her own home! this has been a long day coming. I am praying for ya'll constantly. Let us know if you need ANYTHING! Love to all of you!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so exciting!! Love the pic in her car seat and by the way, love the updated pics at the top of the blog!!! So glad she's home! Please let us know if we can do anything for y'all and we cannot WAIT to see her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, I remember the projectile vomiting days well. At Karen's first Christmas (she was 4 months old) when we went to visit the family for the weekend I announced: I would like to issue one blanket apology for Karen throwing up on anyone who picks her up - especially after she eats. You are welcome to hold her but SHE WILL THROW UP ON YOU. She did eventually out grow it.

    John and I often laugh about the night when Andrew threw up in his dinner plate. I said, "do you want the boy or the table". John took the table - cleaned it up and fixed new plates for those affected - and I took Andrew and cleaned him up - and then we all settled back down to dinner as if nothing had happened. I looked across the table and said, Do you realize that if this had happened to either of us just 5 short years ago we wouldn't have been able to eat for a week? Parenthood!

    ReplyDelete