Blog Archive

Monday, May 17, 2010

Prayers needed, now more than ever

Today they took Emma's ventilator out at 1:15. She struggled to breathe for a while after that, and then she went to sleep peacefully. Even though she was sleeping peacefully, her respiratory rate was very low. She woke up again and fought harder than anyone should have to fight for each and every breath. I would give my life for her to be able to take even one easy breath. We all cried and cried watching her fight and struggle to breathe. She finally was getting tired, and I was begging her to fall asleep so that she'd breathe easier. Then she choked on her spit and probably some other secretions as a result of taking the vent out. So of course, she gasped for air even more and broke our hearts even more. You can actually hear all the junk in her throat and you just want to be able to clear it out for her; unfortunately, suctioning it out can make it even worse.

Finally, the respiratory therapist got permission from the PICU doctor to give her breathing treatments that will reduce inflammation in her throat and get rid of some of those secretions. As soon as Emma received that breathing treatment, she was out like a light and breathing well again...breathing less, but not fighting to breathe.

Which leads me to my next concern...Dr. Troup mentioned to us that there is a large fluid pocket in Emma's spinal cord that could eventually affect her arm movement. This would be a surgery for a later date. However, now we're seeing Emma's arms tremble...I've noticed it all day and especially now that she's sleeping. My sister noticed it, too. This is definitely something I'll mention to him tomorrow. I'm sure I'm totally overreacting, but I think I've earned the right.

My sweet sister is going to spend the night here tonight with Emma. Russell and I have such a hard time being here for 12 plus hours every day, and we can at least sleep at home. Somewhat. The nurses here are amazing, and what a blessing that we can go home at night, with some relative peace of mind. Now that she's having such trouble breathing when she's awake, we want someone to be with her to hold her hand and talk to her while she's struggling. Go ahead, call us bad parents for not being here 24/7. But I'm being open and honest. Now, if she were a 4-year-old asking for her mommy, things would be different.

At this point, they're just going to wait and see how her breathing goes. We have no idea what happens next. Unless she stops breathing again - then we go for another surgery. 12 hours passed between the first time and the second time she stopped breathing, so we don't know what to expect now.

I keep telling Emma how much we love her. Over and over. And I try to imagine that God has her in His big arms, cradling her. The thing I'm struggling with (and that millions of people have struggled with over time) is why a loving God can let her suffer. Alzheimers patients and their families, like my coworker and friend, Leigh's mother come to mind - why has she suffered for so long? This may sound like an awful statement to make, but if God is going to take Emma, then just take her...why make a baby suffer? You would think that the last thing a mother would want is for her child to be taken from her...but actually the last thing a mother wants is for her child to suffer. The selfish desire is to have her child with her...but I've learned quickly that the TRUE love of a mother overrides any selfish desires. And this is exactly why God gave His Son - He loves all the rest of us, ALL His children, so much that He unselfishly watched His heavenly Son suffer the most horrific tortures man could conjure up - a temporary pain so that the rest of us could have eternal life - life with Him without pain, suffering, or hurt. I have a better understanding of the love that God has for us - I can't imagine watching my daughter suffer, at my own will, for anyone else. John 3:16 takes on a whole new meaning as a parent.

So please pray that our daughter doesn't suffer. Russell and I have prayed many times that God would not only heal her spina bifida, but that He would protect her from all the other nasty things in this world. This prayer hasn't been answered...because here we are again at the hospital. But we're still praying. Praying for comfort, her suffering, healing of all her problems, big and small. Please join us in this prayer. I have tried all along to pray prayers of faith, for this is what God asks of us...but I'm going to be honest: I won't stop praying, but it's getting harder and harder to believe that He will answer our prayers. I will pray for healing for Baby Emma...always...but when she's suffering, it's easier to ask Him to just take her pain away, no matter how He does it.

14 comments:

  1. Dan and I love you guys and support you both. We can't even imagine the struggles and conflicts of emotions. But we know that you guys are no way "bad parents"!! You are both the most loving couple we know. God has blessed you both with Emma and will continue to sustain all of you. We lift you in prayer to our loving Heavenly Father. Blessing and LOVE, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not "bad parents", but human, loving, caring and emotional parents. Praying that God will bless Emma so that she will not have to struggle and I'm praying for healing with this breathing problem that his love will flow through Emma and that she will be healed in the name of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are far from "bad parents"! You have sacrificed and put your needs last in order to tend to the needs of Emma. It is good for you to go home and get some rest so that you are refreshed in the morning and not cranky or moody and therefore a better caregiver and mother for Emma. I know it's hard to have faith in tough times like this and you may ask God why and know that it is ok to ask God why so that he may reveal to you his purpose. When you find that your faith wavering, remember that your faith is the substance of the hope that Emma will be healed and the evidence of the blessing and healing that will take place. I am still praying for Emma and your family; my 3 year old even prayed for her tonight. I will continue to pray, trust and believe in God for her healing. I know it is easy for me to say, but remain strong MB and Russell. You will get through these very tough times. May God bless you.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. you could never be called bad parents. You need some rest.
    Praying for you Russell and Emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Marybeth, We all love you all.

    continuing to pray,
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pray for you and Emma. We will never know God's plan. You and Russell need your rest so that you can handle all that is happening right now. God will hear all of our prayers, never loose faith. God bless all of you. Give Emma a kiss for me.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your honesty. Your last two paragraphs prove you are not a bad parent. Never second guess yourself there. We are still praying and I have my community group (small group) praying for you too.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. MB - you are wonderful parents. You are putting Emma's well-being first and that is indicative of a great parent. You are also very strong to say what many parents are afraid to say out loud. I admire you. We are continuing to pray for Emma, you and Russell. We love you! - Harriet, Hollis and Reaves

    1 Peter 5:10 - And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am praying for Baby Emma and for you. Be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is no way ya'll are bad parents! Your blog shows your overwhelming love and your heartache for your precious little girl. Like you, I do not understand her being allowed to suffer. I am lifting all of you up in prayer to our loving God. I know he has all of you in his arms! LOve to all of you!!! Holly

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know you guys but about 29yrs ago my aunt and uncle went through the same thing. They were not given much hope and medicine was not what it is now. But thanks be to GOD my cousin will be 30 in July. It has not been an easy road but he holds a job and is very active in his community. He is in a wheelchair, has a shunt, and is on seizure meds. I pray that God does have Emma in his arms. And I pray for you and your husband for strength, wisdom, peace, courage and faith. I pray for Emmas docs for wisdom and discernment. Her nurses compassion and patience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Mary Beth - I've been praying for your family and following the blog. This a.m., I've sat at my desk and sobbed. As a mother, I've been where you are emotionally/spiritually/physically - I watched my beautiful first born son suffer with cancer at the tender age of five. I just had to tell you that ALL your feelings/thoughts are SO indicative of a TREMENDOUSLY loving Mother - NEVER doubt that! God IS good - but life IS hard!! Asking "why" is SO natural for Christians who've experienced God's great love - but don't waste alot of time on "why" - some things we'll just never understand!
    Love, Faye at Alexander Elemenetary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary Beth, you are wise and compassionate, and I am at awe of your emotional strength. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. MB - my heart brakes for you. A mother's love is incredible, isn't it? Did you ever think you could love someone as much as you love Emma? And you hit the nail on the head - now we have an idea of how much our Father loves us. Just a small glimmer. I've got everyone I know praying. I wish there was more I could do from so far away. Love you.

    ReplyDelete