Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Back in the hospital again...and this time it's SERIOUS

I'm running on no sleep, more tears than I've ever cried, and more anxiety, fear, and anger than I've ever had...so pardon me if this particular entry is hard to follow or is just very abrupt.

Tuesday afternoon Emma started having a hard time taking a deep breath and didn't have enough breath to cry. She wasn't taking a bottle very well, and when she exhaled, she wheezed/whistled. We took her to the pediatrician at 6:00 (the only pediatrican in town open until 7), and they gave her a breathing treatment and told us to go straight to the hospital. We got to the pediatric floor of the hospital sooner than they expected us. Emma's room was clean but wasn't totally ready, so we sat in there while they got it ready. I was feeding Emma her bottle when her eyes rolled back in her head, and she turned blue in an instant. And I mean INSTANTLY. She stopped breathing and was completely limp. Luckily, nurses were in there, and we yelled for help. Of course, we all thought she was choking. One of the pediatric ICU (PICU) nurses just happened to be on the pediatric floor because she didn't have a patient, and she came running in. She's the one who really got Emma breathing again because she's a little more trained on emergency situations. In the end, there were about 20 people in her room in mere seconds. They transferred her over to the PICU, and the doctor told us he hoped it was just a cold/virus. There's something in babies' brains when they're less than 3 months old that will trigger them to stop breathing when they have a virus. We know that God was watching over our child by the way these events unfolded.

Emma stopped breathing again early Wednesday morning, so they ran a scope down her throat to see if there was any vocal chord paralysis or anything funny going on in her airways. All of that looked fine. After that, they put her on a ventilator to make sure she didn't stop breathing again. They did an EEG to measure her brain waves to see if she was having seizures. She was kinda sedated and very sleepy when they did the EEG. The results came back fine, but since she was alseep, they want to do another one when she's more awake. They did an MRI of her Chiari malformation and of her spine to see if there's something else going on there. The Chiari malformation is very common with spina bifida kids; the bottom of the brain is pulled down into the neck a little. It usually doesn't cause problems, but it can occasionally. Emma's Chiari is very compressed and would require surgery eventually, but Dr. Troup still doesn't think it's causing the breathing problems. There's also a really large fluid pocket in the middle of her spinal cord lower down that will cause major problems later in life, even affecting her arm movement, but this is not related to her breathing problems now. This is a surgery for later.

The goal right now is to get Emma off the ventilator to see how she does on her own. This morning, Emma wasn't under much sedation, so she was taking breaths on her own - unfortunately, she wasn't taking very many breaths at all, and they were very irregular. Because they're so irregular, she and the vent can't get in synch. She's basically fighting the vent. So now they've had to sedate her completely so that the vent does all the breathing for her. I can occasionally see her take her own breath, but it's very shallow and rare.

Even if they don't reach the goal of getting Emma off the vent, Dr. Troup will still do the Chiari decompression surgery next week. He took some fluid off her brain through a reservoir in her shunt - one, to test it for infection, and two, to pull extra fluid off. However, he doesn't think that any of these three things are causing the breathing problems. So it's just a waiting game to see what happens.

There's still a slight hope that there's a virus or infection somewhere causing all this, but as time passes and her breathing gets worse, this hope is fading. The best thing that could happen would be a virus - that's easy. She can get over that, and we can all move on.

So many people are wondering why none of this came up in the NICU. Two of our NICU nurses are asking themselves the same thing, and it's horribly sad. It's no one's fault; no one saw this coming. There's nothing on a test or a scan that could have detected any of this.

We keep asking ourselves why God could let this happen, how He could let a baby live like this, why she was in the NICU for 7 weeks and only home for a week. But it was the best week of our lives. We'd give anything to have her back home again. In my mind's eye, I keep seeing the moment that she stopped breathing over and over again. That was the last time I held her. Emma definitely recognizes my voice and knows who I am. Last night before we left, Emma was pretty alert and gazed at me while I told her how much I love her, that God loves her even more than I do, that He's taking care of her, holding her in His arms even as she lies in that hospital crib, and that He's with her always - she is NEVER alone. She kept eye contact with me the entire time that I was telling her these truths; I know she felt the Lord's love pouring out through me.

Please pray that her breathing problems are caused by the Chiari malformation or a virus.

So now we wait.

15 comments:

  1. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - I'm in tears. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family...and with that precious baby EMMA! We will keep praying! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know you, but I have a special needs child and know what is like to love them so much and try to walk through these worries for their health. My prayers will be with you and your beautiful sweet little girl in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just looked thru your whole blog. What a beautiful,precious baby you have. I will definately be praying for her and your whole family.God Bless You

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts and prayers have been with all of you, praying that Emma will continue being strong and that God willl bless her to improve daily.

    God is in control and He has Emma in his hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful way for you to comfort your baby that also brought me to tears. Don't ask why... God delivered this special child to you and those around you so that His works may be revealed through her. These children touch our hearts and change them, as dear Emma clearly has. My thoughts and prayers will also be with your sweet baby Emma and her family. Trust in God! ...Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. MB,
    You have been in our prayers ever since I got the call about Emma. You will continue to be. I know you are right that Emma knows who you are and is totally comforted by you.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing it he world like the love of and for a daughter.....saying lots of prayers... Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary Beth,
    Your faith in our Father is so strong and such a testimony to us all. It is impossible to know what He has in store for us, but I know that He has given Emma the best mom in the world. As parent we all have to come to the point where we actually turn our child over to Him, recognizing that they belong to Him first. I am sad that you and Russell are having to deal with this so early in Emma's young life. I will, as always, keep praying for you all.

    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  10. My prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in tears. My prayers are with you and beautiful baby Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are praying for your family too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am praying for all of you. I can only imagine what ya'll are feeling and my heart swells for ya'll. All of your pain brings tears to my eyes. I know the Lord is with you and he is holding Emary in His arms! Love to all of you! Holly

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hvee been following all of your blogs a nd they are so heart felt and wonderful. Every day I pray for all of you and Emma. May peace Be with you as you continue on. Gail Williams

    ReplyDelete