Blog Archive

Sunday, May 30, 2010

At our wit's end

I don't know how you moms do it. You know who I'm talking about - you who have colicky children. What was your natural hair color after your children got past the colicky age? And do you have a magic cream that has made the bags under your eyes disappear?

Emma doesn't have colic, per se, but she's been screaming with gas pain all day, every day since last Wednesday. It's absolutely heartbreaking. You may be tempted to blow it off as oh, crying baby, she'll be fine...and I know she will be...but she SCREAMS in pain. Her knuckles turn white, she scratches the sheets and pillowcase with her fingers, pulls her knees up in agony...it's just terrible. She loses her breath because she's crying so hard, and she just swallows more air, which creates more gas. Mylicon's got nothing on this little girl.

Emma's been eating very thick formula (which is hard to burp through) since Friday morning, and it's gone well so far. It takes a lot longer to feed her, of course, because she's sucking grits through a bottle basically, but she doesn't get mad about it. The rest of us would be throwing that bottle across the room. Have you ever gotten a milkshake, and they only give you a straw, no spoon, with which to eat it? We've all sucked our faces inside out trying to get thick milkshake through a straw, and we're asking this poor baby to do something similar.

Emma's been through so much. I know she doesn't remember specifically what she's dealt with, but her life hasn't been easy. Honestly, our family is very frustrated that we've been praying for God's mercy on her...and about the time we started praying that prayer, she began having crippling gas pain. Where is His mercy?! And this may be very boastful of me, but I'll say it anyway: I had reached a point where I could ask God for mercy...ambiguously...trusting that His will, whatever it is, would be ok with me...I wasn't asking for specific acts or changes, just mercy in whatever His plan was. I trusted Him. And that can be very hard sometimes! So now, we're even worse off after telling Him that I trust Him and to have mercy on our daughter. I will never understand why our daughter is experiencing such crippling gas pain - something completely unrelated to the reason we're in the hospital. We're going to keep on with our wait-and-see routine to make sure Emma can eat from the bottle ok. It was a little over a week ago that she didn't do so well eating from a bottle again, so maybe this go-round will be better.

Thank you to all of you who have commented on the blog, signed the guestbook, sent us cards, brought us meals, sent text messages, called us, and visited us in the hospital. We are so blessed to be loved by so many. God bless you all.

9 comments:

  1. I hope you are able to feel and see God's mercy soon. I know He has a plan, just not on our time schedule. Praying for you all daily and continue to share your struggle with others for their prayer. Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how Emma's back is healing but it always helped my babies gas pain if I layed them on their back and left one leg sraight and bent the other up to their chest and switched like they were marching. And I also firmly massaged their tummys. I am praying for you guys. My cousin had triplets and they had colic. Can you imagine 3 screaming like that??? I pray that she will feel better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is aleady showing mercy by letting Emma take her formula from a bottle even if it has to be thick. I know that gas pains for a baby must be awful and I just pray that the doctors will come up with something that will help Emma. I know that all of you have probably tried every way possible to get her to burp. I could always get my baby to burp if I put him way up on my shoulder or laid him across my knees. If you haven't tried that way, it worth a try. Be strong in your faith and keep praying that God's Will be done. Praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MB,
    Just wanted you to know that we continue to pray for you, Russell, and especially Emma daily. We have our whole Sunday School class praying as well. I am so sorry that Emma now has to deal with gas. It is hard to understand. Just continue to trust that God will ultimately take care of Emma. I am sure you have heard of this, but I thought I'd mention it. I know quite a few people who have used gripe water to ease gas. Some people prefer it to Mylicon. I'm sure you've already tried, but if not, it would be worth a trip to the drugstore.
    Love,
    Lesli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting these updates Mary Beth. You are such a strong women and it is amazing to me that with all you are going through you find time to keep up this blog. This blog and your facebook post have been such a blessing for those of us who are worried and want to pray specifically for Emma's healing. Thank you for letting us into her world and yours at a time that is most trying. Praying for you guys and for God's Grace.
    Love to you all,
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  6. Randy and Sara GardnerMay 31, 2010 at 7:09 PM

    Mary Beth,
    Thank you for keeping the blog updated. It really helps to know how to pray. We have so many people here at FBC Walterboro following along with the blog. We are praying for God's healing and God's mercy.
    Randy and Sara Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Beth, you, your family and baby Emma are in my prayers daily. I can't imagine what you are going through, but thank you for taking the time to keep us updated. The picture of your mom and Emma is precious. Keep the faith because God is watching over the Young family and will see you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. above post is from Malinda Gray

    ReplyDelete