Thursday, May 26, 2011

Don't be afraid

In addendum to my last post, I have never been to an eye doctor because I've always had 20/20 vision, as did my parents until they were in their 40's. The glasses also did not get run over by the stroller because someone didn't/couldn't see them.  So don't be afraid that I'm blind as a bat and driving around town with precious cargo. I'm not. And thankful for it. That being said, it scares the bejeebies out of me to look through Russell's glasses that he wears at work and then realize that he doesnt wear them to drive. He has astigmatism, which I realize is different from plain old near- or far-sightedness...but it still confuses me that he doesn't wear them to drive. That's ok - my medical knowledge has been expanded so much in the last year that I probably can't squeeze anything else in anyway. 

Emma has been tricky with her naps here lately - she never has been one to nap, and certainly not nap easily.  The last few days she seems to be boycotting naps altogether.  And still managing to stay up until 7 or 8 at night.  I don't know if this is true, but I have a theory.  14-month-old children are active - they are walking, running, crawling everywhere, getting into everything they possibly can.  In theory, Emma has the equivalent amount of energy, but not the ability to expend it as well or as efficiently.  I wonder if that translates into more awake time and less of that knock-you-down fatigue that results in other kids' nice, long afternoon naps.  That's my theory.  Perhaps this is a question for a fellow spina bifida mom...

Tomorrow is Emma's pre-op appointment for her MRI anesthesia.  I have no idea what they'll do tomorrow, except maybe take some blood.  Hopefully it will be a heel stick, which she can't feel.  MRI's on Wednesday, Dr. Troup on Friday, June 9, and the neurologist, Dr. Morales, on Friday, June 17.  I hope that these 4 appointments will spell the end of the brain/neuro testing for a while, but if I've learned anything, it's that most doctor's appointments lead to more testing and more appointments.  In case you're wondering, the only way I'm able to work and also manage these appointments is MY MOM.  She's wonderful.  A life-saver, my heroine.  Sure, I could work and have Emma in day care.  But day care doesn't meet me at the hospital and at the doctors' offices and give Emma a bath and smother her in granny kisses.

1 comment:

  1. YAY for MOMS!!! You are right we are blessed!
    *Joyce*

    ReplyDelete