Monday, March 21, 2011

Like mother, like daughter

When I was a little girl, I hated to get dirty.  I despised dirt outside and usually ran into the house to have my hands washed.  This probably doesn't surprise those of you who know me well.  I can handle dirt well now, in its place.  I have no problem getting dirty outside, but don't bring it inside.  I will wipe fresh paint all over my paint clothes, but the paint must be contained.  Poop in the tub?  Not my favorite, but as long as the poop and poopy water stays in the tub, I can deal.  At Emma's first little birthday party, she proved to be her mother's child.  She really wasn't wild about putting her hands in her smash cake. 





Saturday night we had a mini-party with my dad.  Granddad couldn't come to Emma's first birthday party on Sunday because it ended up being at the exact same time as my grandmother's funeral.  As much as the rest of us wanted to go to the funeral and visitation to honor my grandmother, I think it's very symbolic and profound to simultaneously celebrate the beginning of one life in our family while honoring the passing of another.  Anyway, on Saturday night, Emma had another little cake of her own.  It also was iffy.






My sister was home for Emma's birthday, so we had a delightful evening on my parents' deck, eating and enjoying the weather and each other.  Emma even got to open her birthday present from John and Mama Jan.





Here are some highlights from Emma's party, including the food and decorations that my sister made.  You just wouldn't believe the creativity that flows from her fingertips, and in so many genres: cooking and baking, sketching and painting, creative writing, hair and makeup, digital artistry, anonymous crafting...at one point in time, she was even a great pianist, according to my mother.  Heck, she might still be.  When she's home, there aren't enough hours in the day to fully explore the realm of her creativity.  Oh, and she's wicked smart.  (Can you tell I admire her?)




 
Loving on Uncle C:






If you're wondering what Russell's brother, Josh, looked like as a little boy, here he is...in the form of our nephew, Mason





Here are last year's posts from:
March 19, 2010
March 20, 2010
March 21, 2010
(Sorry, this weekend I didn't do a good job with updating the current blog with the prior year memories.)

2 comments:

  1. MB, thanks for the vm last night. Sorry I couldn't answer. I'm tickled that the book enjoyed and helpful. I love these pics from her parties. She truly is a blessing and a gift to ALL of us. Love you guys!! Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary Beth,
    Emma is a doll baby!! These are the cutest pictures ever. She is such a wonderful gift from God and just so precious. It looks like her party was a lot of fun.
    Hope to see you guys soon,
    Lesli

    ReplyDelete