Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Peaks before the valley

In my last post, I described a very low valley in our journey.  In order to be so low, you have to be high first, so let me elaborate on one of those very fun, high moments.

A few weeks ago, Riverside High School had Spirit Week to benefit the Shriner's Hospital for Children.  I just happened to be working there that week, and Emma was asked to participate in the Spirit Week festivities since she is a Shriner's kid.  She was asked to be the Grand Marshal of the Senior Servant Parade.  This is a parade that happens on the Friday of Spirit Week during the school's reading period, which I think is the only time during the day that ALL the kids are in a regular classroom, so that means they are all out in the halls while the seniors loudly and proudly march through the halls in one last pep rally-type of ballyhoo to raise money for the week's charity.  Emma got to lead the way, decked out in her RHS colors.  One of the sweet assistant principals bought her a tiara, spirit beads, and pom poms.  The students were amazingly kind to her, and it really restored my faith in our future.  I know that makes me sound like an old fart, but I've seen that most high school kids are very different from how they were 13 years ago when I graduated.  13 years.  Yikes.  Let's change the subject...quickly.
















Here are the students getting ready for the big parade.  They were so sweet to her and could hardly be corralled for wanting to stop and say hi to Emma first.




 

 
These two girls and guy are student body representatives, and they were so wonderful in helping us with Emma.  What sweet, precious kids - I hope Emma turns out like them!
 

 
In this next one, Emma was telling her, "I love your hair."  Ha!
 
 
And finally...the parade!
 



 
 
 
After it was all over, these boys were dressed as One Direction (seniors dressed up, in case you haven't noticed), and they came to the front office with their music, roses, and dance moves for Emma.  One of them told Emma he loved her and gave her a rose :)  Being the generous and silly child she is, Emma thought the rose looked best behind Nan's ear.  Nan didn't care, as long as she got some lovin' from the doodlebug.
 

 


 

2 comments:

  1. GREAT pics MaryBeth! She is a doll! I could just squeeze her...Lots of love, Tosh

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome! Thank you for sharing the experience! I wish I had been there!
    Love ya'll Holly

    ReplyDelete