Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lots of progress in a week!

Well a lot has happened since I last blogged - no huge things, but lots of little things.

Emma's third tooth is here to stay.  Number four is close behind.

On Monday, Emma turned a corner at therapy.  I pray she did, at least.  She was very happy at therapy.  Ok, well maybe not happy, but certainly not miserable.  We brought her a little early so that she would have some time to get used to being there before jumping right into therapy.  Emma whimpered once, but we were pretty much free and clear after that...until she got really tired at the end.  But that's to be expected.  Today my mom brought her back to The Care Center, and Emma enjoyed herself again.  She still needs us to be with her, but after the last couple of months, even that is an improvement.  She is doing SO GREAT with sitting on her own, and now she can even keep one of her legs bent in front of her as she sits.

We finally got shoes that fit Emma's chubby feet and clunky AFO's.  The AFO's are made for her to feet to grow into, so they're a little long.  Add to that all the Velcro around her ankles, and it's hard to find shoes that fit just right.  So Emma's first pair of AFO-friendly shoes: size 5 extra wide pink New Balances.  Now that she has shoes with rubber soles (non-latex, I hope), she can get in her Exersaucer and practice putting weight on her legs.  She pushes up to a standing position in the Exersaucer, but we have to watch her to make sure her feet stay under her.




These are shots of her first experience in the shoes, and let's just say that Daddy was so excited about it that he didn't bother taking the tags off the shoes.  Classy, huh?  I promise we're not going to wear them and then return them.  Can you believe how fat her legs are?  Her arms and belly are still a little chubby but nothing compared to those legs.  I'm waiting for her 6-pack to pop out at any moment because she's got some strong little abs.

As I'm typing this (at 9:10 pm, mind you), Emma is wide awake and pushing to a standing position in Russell's lap.  Way to go, Little Bit.

Tomorrow Emma has a checkup in the morning and her sleep study tomorrow night.  I'm so interested to see what it'll be like, and I really hope they have a chair I can hold her in to get her to sleep.  It was NOT my choice to start rocking her to sleep, but there are a couple other forces at work in my daughter's life (I'm not naming namesRussellandNan) that have created this bedtime routine.  She's got to get in a crib with all kinds of wires and electrodes attached to her...I just don't know how this is going to work.

Emma has also become a pro at waving hello and byebye.  Sometimes she's actually waving to herself, but still.  Pretty darn cute either way.

3 comments:

  1. I think the shoes are very cute and I'm sure Emma will loose some of that cute fat on her legs. She will be exploring a new adventure with the shoes and standing in the exerciser.

    Hope you have much success in the sleep study tomorrow night. I'm anxious for you to blog about her sleep study, anxious to hear how they do this on babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shoes are adorable. I can not believe all the progress she has made. How wonderful! I can not believe she will be a year old! We need to get together soon!!! Love to all of you! Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shoes are so cute and I've been meaning to ask you if you know yet if she's actually allergic to the latex??

    ReplyDelete