Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Scary moment

Emma has been cruising the last few days, still suffering a little from the lingering effects of her cold, but nothing too bad.  She's been VERY happy and chatty, and we couldn't ask for a better baby.

We did have a scary moment last night (followed by a scary comment today that I'll mention in a bit).  I was at my parents' house right after work with just Emma and my mom.  Emma was in my lap, and we were playing with a little purse toy.  All of a sudden, out of the complete blue, Emma started crying like someone was trying to break her arm!  My mom picked her up, and we could see her throat was going to close up like it used to do this summer.  Emma's face and lips turned blue, and her eyes started rolling back in her head.  We were talking to her and bouncing her and blowing in her face to try to distract her, and she came out of this little "fit" after about 10 or 15 seconds.  (This doesn't sound like a very long time, but I hope none of you have to see how long it FEELS when it's your child.)  She was a little woozy and then went right back to smiling again.  Today Emma has been choking a lot more and hasn't been as chatty as usual.  So we're keeping an eye on her and praying that tomorrow will be much, much better.

The comment that really sent me into a tailspin was from a nurse who came to visit her today at my parents' house.  My mom explained the episode from last night, and the nurse said it sounded like she could be having petit mal seizures.  I won't go into the details of what this particular type of seizure is like because...well, does it matter?  No seizure is a good seizure.  I have looked on the internet (your best and worst friend), and I've convinced myself that she is NOT, in fact, having petit mal seizures.  If all those episodes with her this summer weren't seizures, last night's event certainly wasn't either.  Still.  Scary.  And this isn't what I need after being with Emma for 3 weeks over Christmas - being without her this week is hard enough!  If she doesn't seem more on the up and up tomorrow, I'll be calling the neuro.

So please pray that Emma improves this week and that whatever happened last night was some sort of isolated incident that we don't have to deal with again.  God has blessed us tremendously with a sweet, happy little girl - life with her has been so delightful lately that I'm so afraid things are going to plummet.  I know that's not how God works, but as the mother of a child with issues, your fears just get the best of you sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. MB, I am praying for all of you! I am sure the moment wiht Emma scared you and the nurse did not help. Stay away from the internet, it always seems to tell the worst scenario. If ya'll need anything let us know! Love you all! Holly

    ReplyDelete