Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chuckles from heaven

I mentioned in my last post that Emma has been having some separation anxiety, especially at OT/PT.  Russell and I both went to therapy on Friday to check out that particular situation, as well as to just check in on what they're doing with Emma now that she's a little older.  Brief synopsis:  Emma cried when she realized she was going to be sitting on the mat.  She knew EXACTLY what she was there for.  When I sat with her, she didn't reach for me, but cried.  She cried huge tears and even lost her breath and turned blue.  Then Russell said, here, let me try.  She cried with him, too.  Conclusion?  It's not separation anxiety, it's attitude.  And that's where our grandmothers come in.  My mom's mom had more attitude than you can imagine.  She was a tough, tough lady.  Luckily, she loved her grandchildren, especially when we were well-behaved.  Russell's Mama Dot had a good bit of attitude, too, but she wasn't quite as mean-spirited as my grandmother.  So I'm sure the two of them are getting a kick out of Emma's moments of defiance.  Eventually, Emma stopped crying and did her OT just fine.  When it was time for a little physical therapy, she was really exhausted, so that part didn't go so well.  So yes, maybe she does have some separation issues...but at therapy, she just doesn't want to work!

So far, we've had a nice relaxing weekend.  We're going to get Emma's big girl car seats installed this week probably, and if I can get my act together this afternoon, I'm going to lug down her big girl high chair and assemble it.  Here's a fun game: leave a comment with your guess at how long I'll be able to assemble it myself without Russell stepping in.  He has really enjoyed assembling toys, strollers, chairs, etc., and I don't have a snowball's chance in you-know-where of getting to assemble something myself, haha.  But that's ok, I love having a hands-on husband.  What a blessing.

Oh, one quick note: there are numerous advantages to having a child become the love of your life, but this weekend we discovered a new one: the tax break!  We did our taxes this week and weekend, and WOW!  Much better than last year!  Thanks, Emma :)   Now, if that little angel could somehow get our house sold...

No comments:

Post a Comment