Blog Archive

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Playing frisbee golf is hazardous for new moms

Some of you may remember (or may have even been there..cough,MageeandTyler,cough) when I broke my right wrist in graduate school at Clemson. I'd like to say I was saving a baby from a burning building or something heroic like that. What actually happened was that my friend Magee and I were playing frisbee golf with a few other people, and we got to the hole first, so we were tossing a frisbee back and forth. I was running really fast on wet, slick brick to catch a long frisbee toss from Magee, slid and fell back, and caught myself on my wrists. I know people TELL you not to catch yourself on your wrists, but that's a lot easier said than done. Anyway, I broke my wrist clean through the thickest part of the bone, and I don't have any trouble with it at all now. That is, until I became a mom who has to feed her daughter on her stomach, on a pillow in my lap. Depending on how Emma wants to turn her head for that particular feeding, we alternate which hand feeds and which hand goes under her head to support it and turn it enough so that she can get her mouth around the bottle. Well I can really only comfortably feed Emma with my left hand under her head because my right wrist can't rotate enough to prop her face/head up enough. So I blame Magee for throwing me that long pass...thanks, Magee, now I can't feed my baby. Ha!

Anyway, no visit from Dr. Troup today. The pediatric infectious disease and NICU doctors came by together to check out Emma's incision. I wasn't here, but the pediatric infectious disease doctor's notes say that the wound is smaller. I'm not so sure I buy off on that - looks the same size to me - a 3 in. equilateral triangle, same as yesterday and the day before. There's a use for 9th grade geometry I didn't anticipate. Both doctors were pleased with the lessening amount of infected-looking nastiness (those are medical terms - look it up). I personally am concerned about this one little spot in the middle that appears to still open up to the muscle underneath - it's not attached to the rest of the healing skin and tissue that's growing, and that worries me. I hope to be around tomorrow or Monday when some combination of Emma's many doctors are looking at it to ask them what they think.

Emma had a GREAT day today, as far as her feedings and demeanor go. She is moving her head like you wouldn't believe. There's a chance that when she comes home, she'll have to sleep on her stomach for a week or two still. Normally, I'd be freaking out about that, but I'm not that worried now - she can move her head from side to side like a champ (and fast!), and she's so used to sleeping on one side of her face by now.

All in all, today was pretty uneventful. I'd like to be able to say that Emary's improving, but at least things aren't getting worse...that's how it has been for a while now. Our nurses have been great. I probably shouldn't say that because I don't yet know who her night nurse will be from 11 pm to 7 am. This is a pretty important nurse because she changes the dressing on the wound, and there are some people around here I wouldn't even want pumping my gas, much less treating my daughter's infected wound. In the end, though, we look back at where we were a week ago and thank our Lord that several problems peripheral to the infected wound have been resolved.

Thank you so much to all of you have not only kept us in your prayers, but have TOLD us that as well, through emails, texts, cards, etc. Each morning we wake up is a scary morning, knowing that the day to come holds all kinds of possibilities for success or failure. So even though I'm sure it gets old for a lot of you, it never gets old for us to hear the support and feel the blessing that each of you represents.

2 comments:

  1. So glad that no steps backwards today!! God is GOOD! Lots of love to you all! Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for forward progress for tomorrow. And a competent, caring night nurse.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete