Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Don't be alarmed if you don't hear from me.

Today was another relatively uneventful day. As I've said before, I'd prefer uneventful to a downslide. We ARE facing another bout with diaper rash, but we're trying really hard not to let it get as bad as it did last time. I know we'll fight this fight often, but at least at the hospital we have the "luxury" of sitting in a hospital room with an oxygen connection to blow on her little hiney. Since we're on autopilot (as Dr. Troup says), I may not post every day for the next few days. No need to just fill up space. I say that now, but watch me end up posting every day...

Dr. Troup came by today and felt Emma's head for fluid build-up...he still says we're ok, and that was about all he came to do. Dawn was our nurse today (yay!) and asked the wound nurse to come back by to check out the wound. The wound nurse mentioned that some skin on the edges of the incision has kind of rolled over into the wound, which I had noticed. This skin won't really adhere to anything else because it's just a healed edge and that can't grow to anything else. Bascially, Dr. Troup will have to remove that healed edge to create a rough edge that will heal to the new skin that will grow up next to it from inside the wound. On one hand, it seems counterintuitive to purposely remove healthy skin, but I also can see how that skin isn't going to adhere to anything that fills in next to it. Dr. Troup hasn't mentioned anything about this to me, but I'll definitely ask him tomorrow. Tomorrow is the last day we'll see him until Monday because he's going out of town. Monday is the day before her surgery, so it kinda scares me that he won't check on her until then. But what can you do?

New frustration with nurses: there must be a secret good schedule and bad schedule...because all our good nurses, even ones that we've had only once, all have the same schedule, basically. Which leaves us with no one that we know to be good on their off days. Sigh. It just never seems to end.

Emma has been either half awake or fully awake, with some very brief catnaps, for 9 consecutive hours. She was fussy during the late afternoon hours, so my mom laid back in the recliner with Emma and put her on her chest. Emma loved it! Even though she was still lying down on her tummy, it was definitely something new for her. Emma was swinging that left arm around and kept smacking my mom in the face.



Oh, she's reached 9 lbs, 8 oz. Hefty considering she was 7 lbs, 2 oz. 5 weeks ago!

4 comments:

  1. Of course we understand if you don't blog every single day. So glad that things have been uneventful for you! Love the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable little girl! This is one of my favorite pictures so far. She is so cute, you just want to squeeze those chubby little cheeks. Still praying for you all. Enjoy the days where you are not blogging and take that time to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to see you and Russell today. You guys are constantly in our prayers! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great picture! I know your mom loved that!

    ReplyDelete