Blog Archive

Sunday, April 4, 2010

A day wouldn't be complete without a setback or two.

This blog has been full of pretty bad news lately, with the exception of funny things like me being trapped inside the revolving door and my mom and Russell getting a handfull of poop and/or pee. (You have to know both of them to truly appreciate the hilarity.) I apologize for the bad news, but these are the days of our lives. Today's setbacks are bloody poop and excessive crying. Regarding the poop - gross, I know, but it is what it is. As 2 just-in-case measures, the NICU doctor ordered an xray, and he changed her formula; however, they're pretty sure there's a lesser cause that I won't go into here because I don't want to be one of those moms or old ladies later in life who feels the need to explain in detail every ailment. The xray came back clean, and we think it's just going to happen from time to time. After about 4:00, we've been good on that front.

As for the crying, Emary isn't resting/waking well after she eats. We it's think because she needs to burp big time, and it's just so hard to burp on her tummy. I really want all of you to lay down on your bed on your stomach and imagine drinking from a straw and then burping, too. She had a major breakdown tonight, as did I...simultaneously. And then she wouldn't sleep. At all. There are so many things that could be hurting her, from something as simple as needing to burp to having too much fluid on her brain. We fed her an hour and a half early, and we think that was the simple solution. Gosh, I hope it was...I know that all babies cry, but when so many things are going wrong with your child, you just know that it's not normal baby cries. Maybe there's too much fluid on her brain...maybe Dr. Troup will do a bedside tap tomorrow to release some of the pressure...

Only one episode of diarrhea today, which could have been caused by the antibiotics. Her hiney is healing up nicely from the awful diaper rash, mainly because we've been holding a tube over her butt that blows out pure oxygen to help kill bacteria and keep it very, very dry. But that also means we have to be on our toes to immediately catch any poop that comes out! I just could not be a nurse; this is exhausting.

Earlier in the day, when Emma was actually acting like a happy baby, we got this shot in her Easter bib. Brutal honesty here: it made me so sad to put it on her and take a picture because my baby's first Easter is being spent in the hospital, fighting all kinds of problems. I just want to bring her home and put a bib on her the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment