Monday, January 13, 2014

We are loved

Let me just give you a breakdown of visitors we've had.  There's no way I can count the number of text messages, emails, or FB comments, but the visitor number is just as impressive.

Friday, January 10: 25
Saturday, January 11: 7
Sunday, January 12: 14

We are so incredibly blessed to have so many people care so much about us and about sweet Emma.

Last night (Sunday night), Emma hit a fever, and they didn't get her meds sorted out until around 2:30 or 3 am.  We now are asking that no one come to visit, in the interest of keeping Emma herself directly healthy (obvy), but also to keep us healthy so that we can be there for her.  I'm sure my hands will start cracking and drying up soon from the excessive hand washing and antibacterial use.  In addition, we need to keep her room as quiet and peaceful as possible to prevent her from being disturbed by noise, especially voices.

We feel strengthened by so many people, whether they physically visit or not, because we know that Emma is surrounded by prayer.  Her tiny little room will only hold so many people anyway! Since there now is basically a noise, bright light, and touching ban in her room, it's a different atmosphere.  However, I honestly enjoy the quiet.  Things can get a little chaotic, and the silence is comforting - it allows me time to put my feet up ('cause my ankles are not getting any smaller these days), read a magazine, check my email, and just look at my precious one, knowing that every minute of that quiet solitude is time that I'm resting for the new baby and time that God is using to heal our first baby.

It has just occurred to me that many of you have never seen The Great Troup, and those of you have seen him in person are surprised.  He looks like your average guy, NOT your average neurosurgeon (as nurses have told us over the years, off the record).  He likes junk food, football (played in high school), pranks, practical jokes, and fireworks.  He tells stories about his kids and his vacations.  And he's awesome.  Here's the picture of him from the Children's Hospital website:


And that's wonderful Nurse Nikki with him - she gave Emma her first tub bath when she was in the PICU a few years ago.  Take a look:


And Nikki invented this wonderful contraption to allow Emma to lie on her side, hug something, and still have her binky:



But this is the one that cracks me up.  It's from the hospital's general physician's website.  I can't swear to it, but I don't think I've ever seen Troup in a white coat, and I'm pretty sure his skin was crawling when he had to take this picture in a white coat.  He doesn't wear white coats.  He has tie dyed lab coats, thank you very much.


And PS - he popped in Saturday AND Sunday to check on us, and he actually didn't have to.  This part of Emma's recovery in the PICU isn't really something he HAS to check on over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment