Friday, January 3, 2014

Not quite what we were expecting...

Surgery day today didn't exactly go as planned.  We have been working on keeping Emma up later and later all week so that she would sleep in this morning and not be hungry for hours and hours before her surgeries.  Success!  Emma went to bed at midnight last night, and we fed her a big snack at 11:30, her last meal for a week.

When I got a phone call from Dr. Troup's nurse this morning at 8:30, I knew something was wrong.  And then lots of plans went out the window, not just Emma's sleep training - days taken off of work for many people, out of town visitors, rescheduled appointments to work around Emma's hospital stay, and prayer chains, just to name a few.

Dr. Troup is sick.  Coincidentally, so are a lot of people.  With a stomach virus, specifically.  I would guess that someone was inconsiderate and brought their vomiting child out into the general public... but that's just a guess based on what I'm hearing about this stomach virus running rampant.

So Emma's surgeries are now rescheduled for next Friday, January 10 at noon.  It's just one more week, but unless some of you have experienced something to close to what we are, you have no idea how exhausting it is to mentally and physically prepare for a minimum 6-day hospital stay instigated by neurosurgeries.  My house was in order.  We were packed.  Errands were run.  Laundry was done.  Appointments were cancelled and rescheduled.  And now I have to go back to work for 4 days prior to the surgery and somehow manage to do this all over again.

In spite of how this monologue sounds, I'm not bitter.  Ok, well maybe bitter at irresponsible sick people.  But overall, I'm just tired and disappointed.  I'm tired of waiting, tired of preparing, tired of running through scenarios (good AND bad) in my head.  Not depressed, but rather...defeated.  Deflated.

In the busyness of trying to get the word out this morning about the cancellation, Emma and Russell found the perfect way to cope:



We all ended up sleeping until 11:00, and it was glorious.  God has a glorious plan, too, and I have no doubt about that.  He will be with us next Friday, just as He is today.  And He will grant me the patience and peace that I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment