Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Back to reality!

Well, Russell and are back in the real world, and we hit the ground running.  The instant I set foot in the airport in Charlotte, I thought to myself, Oh, I have to call and cancel therapy for tomorrow because Emma has her nine-month checkup.  It was also kind of sobering to go back to the REAL real world of therapy, doctors, choking, and surgery.  But of course, the moment we saw that first smile from Emma, all that nasty reality faded into the background of our blessed reality.

Emma is now drifting towards the average in terms of her weight and height: 27 inches long (45th percentile) and 20 lbs, 2 oz (71st percentile).  Still a little short and fat, but cuter than ever!

We got a phone call last week that Emma's glasses were in, but when we went to pick them up at JERVEY EYE GROUP (you'll see why I'm plugging them in a second), the frames just seemed too big for her face.  The sweet optician (is this the word I'm looking for?) decided that she just couldn't send our sweet Emma home with those glasses when she thought she could do better.  So they're ordering her another pair.  They could have easily sent us home with that pair, but they just didn't quite fit right.   I have to say that I got kind of upset when I saw Emma with her glasses.  I know I'm biased, but my daughter is beautiful.  Pictures just don't do her justice.  Her eyes are big and blue, and her long eyelashes make women jealous.  But when I saw her in those glasses, I didn't see HER anymore - I saw the glasses.  I didn't think something so trivial as glasses would upset me, but with all of Emma's health problems, I could at least look at her and say, "And she's still so beautiful."  Maybe that's vain of me, but I'm telling you right now: there isn't a mother of a child with special needs out there who doesn't want SOMETHING about their child to be average...normal...run-of-the-mill.  For me, that was Emma's beauty (and perfect eyesight - oh, the things we take for granted!).  The glasses just seem to detract from her natural beauty, and now I know that strangers' comments will no longer be, "Oh, how beautiful...her eyes are gorgeous!...I would die for those eyelashes!" - they will be, "Oh, her glasses are so cute!...I didn't know they made them that small!...How do they know her prescription?"  Yes, she will still be beautiful, but now there's one more thing that's different and stands out.  Again, I know it's vain of me to feel this way, but after all we've been through, it's been such a comfort to know that Emma at least APPEARS to be a regular little girl.

Ok, moving on!  While Russell and I were in New York, my parents kept Emma for 2 nights, and Russell's parents kept her for 3 nights.  Yes, there were days, too, but it's the nights that are important here - out of those 5 nights, Emma slept in the bed with a grandmother for 4 of them.  So we're now having a bit of an issue with sleeping in her crib.  I have just recently won a battle of the wills in the last couple of hours - Emma couldn't even finish her bottle, she was so sleepy, but she cried and cried and cried and cried and cried and cried the second that her body hit the crib mattress.  The more she fought, the more determined I became to get her back into napping and sleeping through the night in her crib.  (Notice that I'm making this statement on only my first full day back from vacation - we'll see where I stand in about 10 days.)

While we were in New York, Emma visited Santa, and I shoplifted this picture from my mother-in-law's camera:


And here are the joys of trying to take a picture with 3-year-old and 9-month-old grandchildren.



Ok, this has nothing to do with Emma, but if you want to be entertained, please share our front row seats with the talented ladies who play The BIG Piano at FAO Schwarz (yes, the one in BIG with Tom Hanks).






And some anonymous New York pics:






No comments:

Post a Comment