Wednesday, September 8, 2010

One for the books

I'm writing this blog at 6 am - wow. I am a morning person...once I'm out of bed for 5 minutes. If I can finally get myself out of bed, then I actually end up trying to do too much and am late for wherever I have to be - just ask Russell, it makes him CRAZY. So I'm going to try to do a quick blog entry before I have to get ready for work!

We have really enjoyed the last few days of pleasant weather - Emma has been walked in her stroller for the last 4 days, which she (and therefore, we) couldn't be more thrilled about. Last night, my dear friend, Magee, and I were playing with Emma on the floor, and she rolled over from her stomach to her back for the 2nd time ever. She's enjoying playing with her toys more now, and she is reaching for them better. She's a little delayed in this area compared to other 5 1/2-month-old babies, but her 11 out of the first 12 weeks of her life spent in the hospital set her back JUST A BIT (insert emphasis and sarcasm here). Still, Emma gets bored and wants to spend most of her day walking around seeing things. It's not so much that she wants to be held, she just wants to GO! I will be very thankful when she has enough trunk control that I can put her on one hip and also be able to carry her in her little backpack carrier or Moby wrap a better way. Here's Emma in her jogging stroller, wondering what in the world that bug net is:



So yesterday she spent day #3 with Daddy while my parents are in Paris. They had a great, albeit busy, day together. Here's something comical, though: my parents' dogs, Maggie (3.5 lbs) and Mollie (7 lbs), are staying with us. Russell took all 3 dogs (Lola included, weighing in at a whopping 14 lbs) AND Emma to my parents' house so that he could go to the dentist while Mama Jan watched all 4 "kids." Russell pulled into the driveway and here comes sweet Mama Jan across the street. She loved on Emma immediately while Russell went into my parents' house. Their security alarm went off, and Russell typed in the code...wrong code. Tried again...wrong code. So then the sirens went off - you know, the REALLY loud ones that alerts the whole zip code that someone is breaking in (or forgot their alarm code). He called me to ask me what the code was, and I couldn't remember on my first 2 tries. I got it on my 3rd guess, but it was too late. The security people called, and you have to give them a password that's different from the alarm code, which, of course, we didn't know. But Russell explained everything to them and that was it. (Actually, now that I think about it, I think I may have an idea of what the password is...Note: ask parents what password is.) Everything seemed to be ok until Russell went to the dentist and Mama Jan was at the house with all 3 dogs and Emma...and the cops showed up. No screeching sirens or anything, but here's a woman who doesn't live in the house with a baby who isn't hers and who also doesn't live in the house, with 3 ankle biters barking and going crazy. Luckily the cops were very nice and understanding. It's almost been 24 hours, and no one's been arrested...yet.

So after all that insanity, Russell's day calmed down and he had a wonderful day with Emma, napping on the couch and doing fun things like that. Hopefully they'll have another wonderful day together today, and then Emma's in for a treat - 2 days with Mama Jane (her biological grandmother, not to be confused with Mama Jan, her "adopted" grandmother)!! God has blessed our family tremendously - with so many people who love our little girl and with His loving hand that has been placed on her; she is doing so much better than a lot of doctors and nurses thought she would.

1 comment:

  1. Tell Russell Thanks for the comic relief this week! Glad everyone is doing well. This weather has been heavenly. We call trying to do too much before getting out the door "mommyitize" around here. Only seems that mommies have this problem. Sending you lots of prayers. virginia

    ReplyDelete