Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Home Again

Yes, Emma made it home again. The plan the last few days was for her to come home today, and then last night her right leg (especially her foot) started to get really swollen. This was the leg that always got really swollen whenever they put a PICC or IV in it. So then this morning, one of the doctors ordered an ultrasound to make sure she didn't have a blood clot. I was going to just hit the floor crying if they told us that she had a blood clot and that we'd have to stay in the hospital for yet ANOTHER problem. But thankfully it wasn't a blood clot; they actually just think that Emma's veins are "messy" from all the times she's been messed with and stuck. I think it'll take a while for her veins to cleaned up again. Elevating her leg will make it better.

Emma still has some pretty bad gas pain, even though she's been burping much better these days. She just struggles so hard to breathe, especially when she chokes, and I think she swallows a lot of air this way. I just don't know what the answer is. She's not screaming all day or anything, but the afternoons and evenings really aren't that pleasant. We feel like we're on pins and needles waiting to see if she's going to scream in pain.

In addition to the swollen leg and gas, we now have two more problems: diaper rash that's bleeding and spreading and a cold. First, the diaper rash: worse than it's ever been. She had blood in her diaper today, poor baby. We're trying to keep her lying on her tummy with her diaper open to let as much air get to it as possible. She contracted a cold these last few days in the hospital, as did I. So far mine has made my throat really sore. Emma's has made her really, really snotty. Since we learned that she chokes on her secretions, the doctors told us that a cold will be very dangerous for her: they said she'd choke all the time on the mucus. Last night my mom was holding her, and she threw up all kinds of mucus all over my mom. (I know this is gross, but bear with me.) She did it twice, on a smaller scale, today. What this means is that she's actually NOT choking on her mucus - she's swallowing it. So this puking is actually a good thing! No one wants their child to have a cold, but today a doctor wondered if this is something that can improve, and perhaps her swallowing will gradually get better. Who knows.

Sooooo...anyway, we're finally home. It sort of feels like we're home again with the same baby who has to be on her tummy all the time, but for different reasons now. Before, it was because of the wound on her back (which is completely healed now, by the way), but now it's because it makes her tummy feel better and to let her hiney air out. We've put together her bouncy seat and her swing, and we can't wait to get her walking in her stroller. She loves to move and be on the go, but we've got to her butt all healed up first. Here's a picture of her loving her trip in the wagon on the pediatric floor. I know her face looks like she's scared, but I promise she's not; in fact, she's looking at my mom wondering when she's going to stop talking and starting pulling her again.



Here's Emma in her cute little going-home dress today, completely sprawled out taking a nap. She had lost some weight when she came back to the hospital, but since she started eating rice cereal, she's packed on the pounds again. Please notice the fat roll in the middle of her right thigh; if you look really closely, you can see some baby cellulite on her left thigh!



Well, time for a final feeding. Emma's been eating her last bottle at 10ish and sleeping until about 7. Let's hope she continues this trend for our first night back at home.

16 comments:

  1. So happy that she is home again!! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful that Emma is home again. Since Emma is swollowing her mucus, I truly believe that her throat will heal so that she will be able to swallow normally without choking. What a darling photo of Emma in the crib, love the going home outfit. MB take care of yourself and hope your cold gets better as well as Emma's. Also praying for a good nights sleep and rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MB, try cornstarch on that diaper rash and let as much air get to her bottom as possible. My child had a severe diaper rash as a baby and the doctor told me to sprinkle cornstarch on his bottom and no diaper so the air could get to his bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God that Emma is home with you! Love the pictures. Hope sleep continues. And healing also.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures are beautiful and I love the cute outfit. Hope all goes well for you now that you are home again and it was great to hear that her back has healed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Beth,
    So thankful that Emma is home. Beautiful, beautiful pictures!!
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy Emma is home. She looks great! Our son also had issues with diaper rash (from meds) and the doctor told us to coat with Lotrimin AF and then drizzle with Milk of Magnesia. Sounds nuts but the MOM would add a coating / barrier from the diaper so the rash could heal. It worked every time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEAH!!! Welcome Home Emma!! Hope that snotty nose clears up for both Mommy and Emma's sake. Praying...... constantly for healing :-)
    I know you have gotten several suggestions about diaper rash. It made me remember the trick that my sister used when my niece had severe diaper rash. Her NP told her to brown flour in iron skillet and use that on the diaper rash. It worked wonderfully and I had forgotten until I read the post about cornstarch. We will check with you guys next week and see if there is anything we can do to help out. Mucho Love to the ever faithful and loving, Young family! Joyce :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary Beth,
    I was so happy to hear that you all are finally home again! As for the diaper rash, try Maalox, corn starch and whatever diaper rash cream you generally use (I prefer Desitin for this, as it is creamy enough). Anyhow, I put a large squirt of the Desitin in 1st, then add a little Maalox and finally add in corn starch until you get the right consistency. You can always add more Maalox & diaper cream if you put in too much corn starch to begin with. Just mix it all together in a small bowl and paste it on her bottom, fairly heavy. I use this recipe ALL of the time if my kids have severe diaper rash and it heals it in 24-48 hours (you can find the recipe online, but my pediatrician gave it to me)! He swears by it too!! I hope this helps!
    P.S. The cream will dry out fairly quickly, so cover it with foil or wrap when not using it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear she is coming home today. Hopefully you all will start to feel better soon from your colds. Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. MB, I am so glad all of you are home! What a wonderful answer to prayers. The pictures are adorable, especially the one with her in her tiger outfit. I definitely think she has the spunk of a tiger. She has been thru so much. I am praying for all of you and i hope things go well at home. If you need ANYTHING please let us know.
    Love Holly

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad that Baby Emma is home!!! She looks 100% adorable in the pictures. I love her sweet little going home dress. I am sorry that she continues to have gas and now diaper rash. We will pray for these things to go away. We can't wait to see sweet Emma again!
    Love,
    Lesli

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad you guys are home again! I hope that last night was a good one and you had a good day today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you are home. I hope each day ends with positive results. Think about you a lot. You, Russell and Emma are in my prayers. I still love and miss working with your Mom. A lot of people care and love all of you.
    Janet Crider

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay!!! I am so happy to hear that you got to take that precious baby home. Hope she continues to get better and that she continues to sleep at night. The pictures are adorable and I love her little dress. God is an awesome god and he will continue to answer prayers.

    Malinda Gray

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mary Beth! Ben and I have been following your blog and praying for sweet baby Emma. She is a beautiful little girl and we are so happy that you can enjoy having her at home now. I know you've gotten a lot of helpful tips for her diaper rash already, but I thought I'd let you know about one more you might want to try. There is a German diaper rash cream called Penaten cream that has always worked SO well for our boys. I don't think they sell it in stores in America (my family in Canada ships it to us), but they sell it on amazon.com. It works much better and much faster than any other cream I've tried, so you might want to order some and give it a shot. It's great at preventing rashes too if you put some on at every diaper change. It's a bit more expensive than other products, but it is definitely worth it! Ben and I are thinking of your family and we'll continue to pray for Emma!

    Jenny Hazlewood

    ReplyDelete