Thursday, June 28, 2012

Oblivious

Have you ever noticed that children don't seem to feel the heat in the summer or the cold in the winter?  They are completely oblivious to the weather conditions that make us adults miserable.  Same thing with pool water.  I seem to remember noticing if the pool seemed colder as a child, but that thought was fleeting.  It kind of reminds me of Jesus instructing us to have faith like a child.  Just take life as it comes, and trust that everything's fine.  Enjoy life in the now.  Well, here are two little girls who took on a freezing cold kiddie pool filled straight from the hose like it had been preheated to a cozy 70 degrees (ok, I made that number up - I have no idea what comfortable water temperature is).  Rose and Emma had a blast in our latest toy for Emma.  Emma loved it because she wasn't surrounded by a float that got in her way, and the water was shallow enough for her to crawl in.  Rose loved it because all she wants to do day in and day out right now is walk around and see different things.  The large pool and slide were perfect for exploration.  Rose's mama, Sally, DID call her out on one "playground violation" in particular: Rose reeeeally wanted to climb UP the slide.


Russell and Sally only got in up to their ankles at first.  Sally wisely stayed in up to her ankles.  Russell later sat down in the water and is still trying to get the feeling back in his lower half.




"Mom, I NEED to climb up that slide.  And tell MB to get that blasted camera out of my face.  Not cool."


 

Ah, yes, the say-cheese face.  All you other moms, when do they stop doing this and smile naturally?

Emma got in the pool again the next day after a stalled thunderstorm filled it up for an hour.  This made for an even colder pool, but OF COURSE, she didn't mind.  We thought it was a slight problem when her skin started to turn a little purplish blue.  This is when I wanted to be her for just an hour: we gave her a warm bath, threw a soft blanket in the dryer, and wrapped it all around her, which is how she feel asleep in her daddy's arms.  Doesn't that sound heavenly?

Thanks for all the prayers that everyone sent up for Emma at the dentist yesterday.  The dentist himself was wonderful.  Actually GOING to the dentist was not.  Emma was terrified of leaning back for the cleaning and the exam, and I've never seen such sheer terror and fear come over her.  Her whole body was shaking, her eyes were huuuge, and she was panicked.  It was absolutely the saddest thing I've ever seen.  Today she had a follow-up with the opthalmologist, and she was scared of him, too, for the first time ever.  So it appears that the dentist has damaged her.  Great.  We really need Emma to NOT be afraid of doctors since we see them all the time.  The next encounter with a doctor is in July with an ENT when they'll probably shove things up her nose and down her throat.  What do I do until then?  Go around visiting all our doctors so that she gets used to them?  I thought my little girl would never be afraid of doctors since she's done so well thus far.

Before things took a turn at the dentist's office, Emma enjoyed playing in the "park" - the precious little play area in the lobby.  I was trying to get her to look at me for a picture while she was sitting on the tiny bench, but I was rudely obstructing her view of the other children in the waiting room.  As punishment for my rudeness, she refused to look at the camera and looked around me instead.  As Russell would say, I would have made a better door than a window.



On the brighter side of things, Emma's wheelchair came in today.  Now it just has to be assembled and fitted to her arm and body length.  That will happen in a week or two - YAY!!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! This first picture really makes me realize how big she is getting. I thought the little one was her! Then I realized she was the one with her back to me! How sweet!!!!! Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen is 22 and still makes the say cheese face. Sorry. (Actually, I probably do too)

    ReplyDelete