Wednesday, August 18, 2010

They say laughter is the best medicine

I don't know about medicine, but laughter is certainly the best reason not to blog for a while. Emma has started smiling a lot more and laughing a lot more, and I absolutely can't get enough. Life has been pretty busy carting Emma back and forth between our house and my parents' house, but she's been a very happy girl. Here's a great shot of her grinning at her daddy (by the way, she is a huge daddy's girl.)



One of Emma's most recent tricks is flashing - all of a sudden, she LOVES to suck on fabric. She's not teething, but she just really likes to put her burp cloth or her dress in her mouth. So at any given moment during the day, she's flashing the room by pulling her dress up into her mouth. She is getting so much better at holding her head up. She's still a little bit of a bobblehead, but it's amazing how much she has improved. She likes to sit in her Bumbo seat, but we have to help her out a little. When she gets tired of sitting up, either in our arms or in the Bumbo seat, she relaxes by leaning as far back as she possibly can, resulting in this:



Emma has also started experimenting with her noises, and she has practically chapped her bottom lip in the last week by sucking it in and out and mumbling at the same time.



Emma visited the ophthalmologist today, and the doctor thinks her eyes actually look a little better. He still said that she will need glasses eventually, but we're going back in 3 months for another look. Ba doomp chhh, no pun intended.

Emma and my sister had a fantastic time together this past weekend. I was so happy to see Anissa be able to actually hold and kiss on Emma...it just warmed my heart. What a blessing this weekend was.

Russell and I are going to the Bristol night race this weekend. Yep, NASCAR. I hate NASCAR. Nothing personal against any other fans, drivers, or those who work for NASCAR (Chuck, you know you're one of my favorite people.) But seriously. It's a dumb "sport." But I'm all for giving something a try, so I figured this was the time to do it. We're going to one of, if not the best, races in NASCAR, along with free and close accomodations (reference Chuck again - his parents live in Bristol), free tickets, free food and drinks, VIP tent access, pit passes, pit tours, and other things I don't understand and possibly might not care about. But don't worry - this negative attitude isn't true negativity; I'm going with an open mind, patience, and an expectation of fun. Oh, and ear plugs. Emma is spending her first night out of town that night - not with us in Bristol, but in Honea Path, Russell's home town. She's going to Russell's parents' church, too. I fully expect her to come home spoiled rotten and exhausted.

Please pray for Scilla and another dear friend of mine who is very sick.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, the Bristol race. Kenny Wallace will be racing the CHD (Congenital Heart Defects Awareness)car. If you are in the pits and can get a picture, please do. There are many names of kids from Greenville on that car. I didn't have Ivan's name put on the car. I wasn't sure how Beth would feel about it.

    MaryBeth, please know that I have been keeping up with your blog daily. Emma is such a beautiful baby. I am praying for your family daily. You have a lot on your plate, but isn't it a blesing to have family and freinds around to help. Keep the faith.
    Give Emma a big kiss and hug for me.
    Gale Bagwell, Oakview

    ReplyDelete
  2. MB, If you have to go to a race, Bristol is the most fun. Enjoy your husband and your time away. I know you will miss Emma but I am sure she will be having a blast. She is developing so much personality. We have got to get together when ya'll get back. We miss seeing all of you. Give her a hug from me! Love, Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the picture and the video. Can't wait to hear about your Bristol experience.
    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete